Freie Universität-Berlin European Studies (FU-BEST)
Live in a spectacular city with a diversity of cultural offerings, featuring countless museums and world-renowned orchestras, opera houses, and theaters.
Photo Credits: TreptowerAlex pixabay
- Study at one of Germany's premier institutions of higher education, while earning SMC credit
- Learn to speak German and discover the importance of Germany in the European and international context
- Embark on excursions to nearby cities/countries such as Poland, Vienna, Paris, London...etc
FU-Best's academic calendar consists of two American style semesters: September - December (Fall) and January-April (Spring). Students will learn and develop German language skills throughout their time abroad. Students are required to take German language class, offered at all levels. There are also many English-taught content classes to fulfill your major, minor or general education requirements.
FU-BEST Course Offerings
To learn more about courses students have received approval for, please click the following link: SMC Pre-Approved Courses: FU-BEST Pre-Approved Courses
***Please note that the following pre-approved courses may not be available during your time of travel. These courses were pre-approved due to previous students who have studied abroad during different terms. Please cross reference the host university’s course catalog in order to view which courses are fitting to your specific term. Even if the course has not been approved, you can still secure additional approvals***
- At least sophomore year standing (junior for some programs), SMC, Exchange & Lasallian programs meet senior residence requirements;
- An average of a 3.0 minimum cumulative AND major GPA;
- Confirmation of a clear record of disciplinary conduct with Residence Life
- Click on the "Apply Now" button on top right hand of this page to begin the process
- Deadlines: March 1st for Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and October 1st for Spring Semester start programs
- Selection results will be announced early April for Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and early November for Spring Semester start programs
Study abroad deposit ($600) will be due upon acceptance
2018-2019 Semester Fees
*Tuition & Fees include tuition and medical insurance
|Tuition and Fees
|Room (Board Included)
|Travel (Estimated International Flight)
|Personal Expenses (Estimated)
|Study Abroad Deposit (due one month after acceptance)
|Study Abroad Fee
*NOTE: Tuition does not include excursion/lab/material fees associated with courses taken. Students are charged additional related course fees directly.
Photo Credits: Freie Universitat
For Scholarship Resources please click HERE.
FU-Best is one of Germany's top institutions of higher knowledge, instructing over 32,000 students. Located in the southwestern sector of Berlin, students also have easy access to the city's center. The FU-BEST (Berlin European Studies)
Program seeks to link high-quality academic instruction with a broader international experience, encompassing elements of culture, society, history, and politics, in Berlin, in Germany, and in (Central) Europe generally. Small classes and the availability of day-to-day guidance and support are designed to enable students to make the most of a unique educational opportunity.
To learn about the various activities in and around Berlin, check out the FU-BEST Blog.
Students live with German host families and share their meals with them. Homestays immerse students in both the culture and language of the city! Students will get the opportunity to really see what living in Germany is like. Depending on the home, bathrooms and other facilities may be shared with others in the home. Most homes will have access to the internet, however students should prepare to arrange for personal internet access.
For students interesting in gaining German skills prior to studying abroad, please consider taking German classes at SMC. For more information please click HERE