IAU College, Aix-en-Provence
Learn about French traditions and gain insight into the culture through your homestay family.
- Enjoy the beautiful south of France while earning SMC credit
- A variety of academic options accommodate beginning, intermediate to advance/ bilingual French speakers
- IAU offers many fun and exciting extracurricular activities that will help you maximize your time abroad including volunteering and excursions
Courses offered at host universities:
Course offerings at IAU College
Course offerings at Marchutz College of Fine Arts
To learn more about courses students have received approval for, please click the following link:
IAU pre-approved courses
***Please note that the following pre-approved courses may not be available during your time of travel. These courses were pre-approved due to previous students who have studied abroad during different terms. Please cross reference the host university’s course catalog in order to view which courses are fitting to your specific term. Even if the course has not been approved, you may still chose it as we are willing to help you get it approved***
- At least sophomore year standing (junior for some programs), SMC, Exchange & Lasallian programs meet senior residence requirements;
- An average of a 2.8 minimum cumulative AND major GPA;
- Confirmation of a clear record of disciplinary conduct with Residence Life
- Click on the "Apply Now" button on top right hand of this page to begin the process
- Deadlines: March 1st for Summer/Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and October 1st for Spring Semester start programs
- Selection results will be announced early April for Summer/Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and early November for Spring Semester start programs
- Study abroad deposit ($600) will be due upon acceptance
2018-2019 Semester Fees
*Tuition & Fees include tuition and medical insurance
|Tuition & Fees
|Room & Board (Board Included)
|Travel (Estimated International Flight)
|Personal Expenses (Estimated)
|Study Abroad Deposit (due one month after acceptance)
|Study Abroad Fee
*NOTE: Tuition and fees cost does not include material fees for courses taken at Marchutz School of Art. Students will also be charged directly for any excursions.
For Scholarship Resources please click HERE
Photo Credits: IAU College
IAU College is located along the Mediterranean Sea, in the southern region of France. This Mediterranean region is a center of famed cuisine and arts. Students will have the opportunity to join local excursions that will hopefully enhance one's cultural awareness of Provencal culture. IAU offers various fields of study along with many exciting extracurricular activities such as buddy programs to develop your French language, wine-tasting, cooking workshops, hikes, dance classes and more.
Choose from Two Distinct Programs
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences
, located in the historic city center of Aix, is open to all majors and offers a wide variety of courses taught in English (social sciences & humanities courses) and French language. This is the only study abroad center in the region that offers courses in both languages. No prior French is required yet two courses in French are required during the semester for beginning students or one course in French for all other levels. Students will be taught by international instructors mainly from France, the US and Britain. Because of the many courses offered, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is a great option for study abroad students of all majors.
The Marchutz School of Art studio is situated on the outskirts of Aix along the historic Route de Cézanne. The program, open to all majors and to artists of all levels, is taught in English and combines studio work, an intense interdisciplinary art criticism seminar, liberal arts courses at the Aix Center, French language study, and excursions to European museums and cities including Pars, Giverny and Venice. The program aims to develop and enhance student awareness of perception and imagination.
To learn more about IAU, click the following link: Institute for American Universities (IAU)
Students will live with a homestay family located near the center, approximately a 15 to 35 minute walk from class. Homestay is a great form of housing because it provides an immediate introduction to French life and the community, and is a great incentive to learn the language. Students will be on a "demi-pension plan", which includes daily breakfast and six dinners per week. Pillows, linens and blankets will be provided and rooms are cleaned weekly. Host families generally provide one load of laundry per week. Homestay is an incredible opportunity to form lifelong relationships with a host family and truly immersing oneself into the beautiful city of Aix.
For students interested in gaining French skills prior to studying abroad, please consider taking French at SMC. For more information, click HERE.