NON-SMC Study Abroad Programs (Various Locations)
“Make voyages! Attempt them… there’s nothing else.” – Tennessee Williams
Can't find the program that is right for you through SMC-sponsored programs, the Lasallian Consortium or SMC exchange programs?
Maybe your dream study abroad city or country isn't offered through SMC sponsored, Lasallian or Exchange programs; or perhaps the range of courses does not satisfy your major requirements. Explore the plentitude of outside international organization institutions and universities abroad that might have the perfect program to meet your academic, personal and future professional needs. Students have taken the option of going independent of Saint Mary’s through a non-SMC program.
It is important to thoroughly understand the financial and academic implications of choosing a non-SMC program:
- Students need to apply and be accepted to study abroad through both the Center for International Programs and their NON-SMC program
- Students take a Leave of Absence from Saint Mary's for the study abroad term (Fall/Spring/Year programs)
- All federal & state financial aid travels with students but SMC scholarships do not
- The SMC scholarships are, of course, available to students again as soon as they return to Saint Mary's
- Courses may not transfer back exactly as one-to-one equivalents
- Students pay a $200 NON-SMC processing fee to the Business Office as part of their SMC study abroad application
- Students cannot study abroad as seniors through a NON-SMC program because they need to be in residency/receive resident credit their senior year
Databases and Links
The web sites in this section are an excellent starting point when searching for Non-SMC study abroad programs.
A comprehensive database lists study abroad programs and summer programs as well as language courses and internships/volunteer programs. Information limited to location and academic subjects and does not provide cost information. Provides contact information for all programs. Links to individual program web sites for some programs. Search possible by country, then within each country's listings by academic subject. Don't miss It's Your World, a how-to guide for students written by education abroad professionals.
A comprehensive and up-to-date web site with excellent search options. Most listings give extensive information. Search is possible by country, subject, or both. Provides addresses and telephone numbers for all programs. Links to program web sites for only some programs. Listings also provide country-specific travel information. One of the best sites for those looking for a broad range of education abroad options.
A user-friendly search engine which lets you select the program characteristics you're interested in, such as duration/term, location, language of instruction, or if the program offers a special “format” such as internships, volunteering, or field research. See “advanced search.” IIE Passport includes the contents of the IIE books Academic Year Abroad and Short-Term Study Abroad.
Find study, intern, volunteer and language abroad programs. Search for scholarships. Get answers to your questions and share your stories from abroad with other students. Get access to discounted student travel.
Links of organizations SMC students have used in the past:
Affordable College Study Abroad
American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
Athena Study Abroad
CAPA International Education
Council on International Education & Exchange
Cultural Experiences Abroad (CEA)
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)
International Studies Abroad (ISA)
Study Abroad Italy (SAI)
School for Field Studies (SFS)
SIT Study Abroad
Semester at Sea