Programs > Brochure
Tokyo, Japan (Exchange Program) (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||SMC-CA applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10425Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10424Eligible Class Standing:
|2 Sophomore, 3 Junior, 4 Senior|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Japanese||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10431Study Abroad Program Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10430Housing:
|Dormitory||Field of Study:||Anthropology, Art History, Business Administration, Economics, English, Global Regional Studies, History, Japanese, Politics, Religious Studies, Sociology|
"Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience."--Francis Bacon
Photo Credits: Walkerssk pixabay
- Live and study in the heart of Tokyo while earning SMC credit
- A variety of academic options accommodate all majors
- Take Japanese classes and content classes in English
Academics2017 Sophia University Courses or click here to see the courses offered. (NOTE: click on one of the three majors: "Comparative Culture", "International Business and Economics", and "Social Studies", to see specific courses offered) For Language courses click HERE.
To learn more about courses students have received approval for, please click the following link: Sophia Univ pre-approved courses
- At least sophomore year standing (junior for some programs), SMC, Exchange & Lasallian programs meet senior residence requirements;
- Transfer Student: Must complete 2 consecutive semesters at a four-year institution;
- An average of a 3.0 minimum cumulative AND major GPA;
- Confirmation of a clear record of disciplinary conduct with Residence Life
- Click on the "Apply Now" button on top right hand of this page to begin the process
- Deadlines: March 1st for Summer/Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and October 1st for Spring Semester start programs
- Selection results will be announced early April for Summer/Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and early November for Spring Semester start programs
- Study abroad deposit ($600) and Sophia Security/Housing Deposit ($500) will be due upon acceptance
2018-2019 Semester Fees
|Room (Board NOT included)||N/A|
|Travel (Estimated International Flight)||$1,500|
|Personal Expenses (Estimated)||$1,100|
|Study Abroad Deposit (due one month after acceptance)||$600|
|Sophia Security/Housing Deposit (Estimated)||$500|
|Study Abroad Fee||$30|
*NOTE: Tuition does not include excursion/lab/material fees associated with courses taken. Students are charged additional related course fees directly.
For Scholarship Resources please click HERE.
Photo Credits: Sophia University
Sophia University is a Jesuit university based on the teachings of Christianity and the Catholic spirit. The university conducts research and educational activities in accord with this spirit and places importance on caring for and thinking about the needs of others in a humanistic way, along with discovering oneself from interacting with various viewpoints.
HousingSophia University will provide assistance for exchange students to either live in off-campus dormitories or apartment-style facilities. Since the Sophia campus is located in the heart of Tokyo, the cost of living near campus is very high. As reasonable housing is located in the suburbs, exchange students should expect a 45-90 min. commuting time to campus. The train and subway systems in Tokyo are well-developed, but during the morning rush hours, the trains are very crowded.
LanguageFor students who wish to have an introduction to Japanese prior to studying abroad please look into taking Japanese at SMC. Introduction Japanese is offered every Fall semester and January Term. See more information: HERE